Downtown Holliston, Massachusetts, as it appeared in 1880. This building, the "Andrews Block", was constructed sometime in the 1860s, and served as the hub for this once-proud shoe-making town's commercial district. However, on December 28, 1898, tragedy struck when it and several other buildings were razed by fire.
Two years later it was replaced with its modern counterpart, the Cerel Building, which stands today, still housing one of the older buildings tenants. The "J.F. Fiske" shop (seen on the left) is still in businesss today as Fiske's General Store, and has been operating in the town nearly-continuously since 1863.
This photograph was taken from a limitedly printed viewbook compiled by the Lithotype Printing Company in New York, and distributed in the town around the year 1880.
| Click image for Comments.