The Shorpy Archive
6000+ fine-art prints suitable for framing. Desk-size to sofa-size and larger, on archival paper or canvas.
Join and Share

Social Shorpy

To love him is to like him. Our goal: 100k "likes":

Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Daily e-mail updates:

Member Photos

Photos submitted by Shorpy members.

Colorized Photos

Colorized photos submitted by members.

About the Photos

Most of the photos on this site were extracted from reference images (high-resolution tiffs, 20 to 200 megabytes in size) from the Library of Congress research archive. (To query the database click here.) Many were digitized by LOC contractors using a Sinar studio back. They are adjusted by your webmaster for contrast and color in Photoshop before being downsized and turned into the jpegs you see here.

JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600

Meeting and Queen: 1905

Meeting and Queen: 1905

Charleston, South Carolina, circa 1905. "Meeting Street and St. John Hotel," a.k.a. the Mills House. 8x10 glass negative, Detroit Publishing Co. View full size.


Other Buildings of Note

Three doors down from the St. John Hotel is the Ionic temple front of the Hibernian Hall, designed by the great Philadelphia architect Thomas U. Walter and built in 1839-1841. It can be seen more clearly in the 2010 photo. In the distance at the far left is the tower of St. Michael's Church (1751-1762), one of the oldest and most important buildings surviving from the colonial city. It is also one of the best American "copies" of the famous design by James Gibbs for St. Martin-in-the-Fields in London (1721-1726), the model for so many Protestant churches in England and America.


The hotel was built in 1853 and originally named the Mills House Hotel. The building was torn down in 1968 and the present building on the site, the Mills House, was built in 1970 in the same architectural style. Many of the buildings around the building remain as can be seen below in the view from May of 2010.

THE 100-YEAR-OLD PHOTO BLOG | History in HD is a vintage photo blog featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago.

Syndicate content RSS | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Photo Use | © 2014 Shorpy Inc.