Summer 1982. This is about as good a print as one can get from a Kodak 110 Pocket Instamatic. This is a northerly view of the trestle that carries the B&O Railroad's Georgetown Branch over the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (near span) and Canal Road (second span). Built sometime around 1903, this structure was engineered to support steam locomotives-- much heavier than the diesels that came along 50 years later. At the time of this image, the line was still active, but just barely: it would be used until 1985 to deliver coal to the Government Services Admin steam plant in Georgetown, located at the east end of Whitehurst Freeway. Conversion of the plant from coal to natural gas effectively put this rail line out of business. It has since been converted to the Capital Crescent Hike/Bike Trail. Shorpyites may recognize the area immediately west of the GSA plant in this image
| Click image for Comments.