Pictured is a multiple unit electric passenger car of the New York, Westchester and Boston Railway at the Baychester Avenue Station, Bronx New York in May of 1937. “The Westchester” as it was known locally was a rapid transit system that linked the Bronx with White Plains to the north of New York City and subsequently Port Chester to the east. At the time of the railway's construction in 1912, the NYW & B was one of the most advanced systems in the world with state of the art equipment, signaling, overhead power supply and exquisite stations of masonry and concrete in both the Italian Renaissance and Mission architectural styles. The NYW & B ceased operation in late 1937, a victim of The Great Depression, the emerging popularity of the automobile and mismanagement of its parent company, the New Haven Railroad.
| Click image for Comments.
| Browse All Photos