SHORPY Historic Photo Archive & Fine-Art Prints
The Shorpy Archive
6000+ fine-art prints suitable for framing. Desk-size to sofa-size and larger, on archival paper or canvas.
Join and Share

Social Shorpy

Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Daily e-mail updates:


Member Photos

Photos submitted by Shorpy members.

Colorized Photos

Colorized photos submitted by members.

About the Photos

Our holdings include hundreds of glass and film negatives/transparencies that we've scanned ourselves; in addition, many other photos on this site were extracted from reference images (high-resolution tiffs) in the Library of Congress research archive. (To query the database click here.) They are adjusted, restored and reworked by your webmaster in accordance with his aesthetic sensibilities before being downsized and turned into the jpegs you see here. All of these images (including "derivative works") are protected by copyright laws of the United States and other jurisdictions and may not be sold, reproduced or otherwise used for commercial purposes without permission.

© 2018 SHORPY INC.

[REV 25-NOV-2014]

JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600

The Happy Grocer: 1954

The Happy Grocer: 1954

Dad, in his store on W. Main, Hugo, Oklahoma, November 1954.

On Shorpy:
Today's Top 5

Hidy, Neighbor!

We have a jar of our hometowns' Best Maid pickles, shown in the foreground, in our fridge right now. (Well, a much newer jar!) The pickle factory is still in Ft. Worth, just a few hundred miles south of Hugo. Fair exchange--hope y'all continue to enjoy our pickles, we certainly enjoy southeastern OK's Italian food when we visit.

Cereals then and now

Most of the cereals on the top shelf are still available today, although 40% Bran Flakes is now called All-Bran. Guess they found the other 60%.

SHORPY HISTORICAL PHOTO ARCHIVE | History in HD is a vintage photo archive featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1960s. (Available as fine-art prints from the Shorpy Archive.) The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago.

Syndicate content RSS | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Photo Use | © 2018 Shorpy Inc.