BUY PRINT    
        Evidently a haunt of John Quincy Adams in the 1820s, "the old house" on F Street was transformed into an office building in 1885 by innkeeper Caleb Willard, who employed the latest fireproofing ideas while managing to preserve "the old wall in the room where Mr. Adams used to sit in his chair and gaze upon the Capitol."
Washington, D.C., circa 1921. "Adams Iron Building, F Street." Its ferrous nature echoed in the Sidewalk of Many Manholes. 8x6 glass negative. | Click image for Comments. | Home | Browse All Photos