Part of Washington Market in 1956, looking north along Washington Street at Fulton Street in Lower Manhattan. The market, which began as an open-air bazaar in 1812, was renovated with the facade seen here in 1940 and razed in 1967 to make way for the World Trade Center. With more than 800 vendors, it was for many years the largest wholesale produce market in the United States. Photo by Fred Palumbo, New York World-Telegram & Sun.
| Click image for Comments.