The Shorpy Archive
 
6000+ fine-art prints suitable for framing. Desk-size to sofa-size and larger, on archival paper or canvas.
 
Join and Share

 
Social Shorpy

To love him is to like him. Our goal: 100k "likes":

 
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Daily e-mail updates:

 
 
 
 
Member Photos


Photos submitted by Shorpy members.

 
Colorized Photos


Colorized photos submitted by members.

 
About the Photos

Our holdings include hundreds of glass and film negatives/transparencies that we've scanned ourselves; in addition, many other photos on this site were extracted from reference images (high-resolution tiffs) in the Library of Congress research archive. (To query the database click here.) They are adjusted, restored and reworked by your webmaster in accordance with his aesthetic sensibilities before being downsized and turned into the jpegs you see here. All of these images (including "derivative works") are protected by copyright laws of the United States and other jurisdictions and may not be sold, reproduced or otherwise used for commercial purposes without permission.

WEB SITE & CONTENTS
© 2017 SHORPY INC.

[REV 25-NOV-2014]

 
 
JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600
VINTAGRAPH • WPA • WWII • SKI FUN IN QUÉBEC, 1930s

Sad: 1937

Sad: 1937

June 1937. "Abandoned cafe in Carey, Texas. Carey is fast becoming a ghost town of the Texas plains." Medium format negative by Dorothea Lange. View full size.

 

What This Is

SALAD OF THE BAD CAFE

Still hanging in there

The brief history of Carey:

        Carey is on U.S. Highway 287 eight miles northwest of Childress in Childress County. It was originally named Talulah, after Talulah Collier, who taught the first school there in 1888. A post office was established there in 1896. In 1898, however, the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway renamed the town after Dan Carey, building foreman of the road, whose land claim was nearby. In 1940 Carey had a post office, a school, a cotton gin, three churches, and a general store. The population comprised twenty-five families. In 1980 Carey reported a population of fifty-seven, a rural store, and a post office. In the 1960s its school district was merged with that of Childress. In 1990 and 2000 the population was sixty.

Wonder when their

Last Picture Show was?

21st century definition of "ghost town"…

Carey hasn't even been visited by the Google Maps Street View car.

 
SHORPY HISTORICAL PHOTO ARCHIVE
Shorpy.com | History in HD is a vintage photo archive featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1960s. (Available as fine-art prints from the Shorpy Archive.) The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago.

Syndicate content RSS | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Photo Use | © 2017 Shorpy Inc.