Our holdings include hundreds of glass and film negatives/transparencies that we've scanned ourselves; in addition, many other photos on this site were extracted from reference images (high-resolution tiffs) in the Library of Congress research archive. (To query the database click here.) They are adjusted, restored and reworked by your webmaster in accordance with his aesthetic sensibilities before being downsized and turned into the jpegs you see here. All of these images (including "derivative works") are protected by copyright laws of the United States and other jurisdictions and may not be sold, reproduced or otherwise used for commercial purposes without permission.
Vintage photos of:
Nov. 15, 1908. "Los Angeles Pacific Railroad fire, Fourth Street between Hill and Broadway." 8x10 glass negative, photographer unknown. View full size.
Los Angeles Express, Nov. 16, 1908:
FIRE DESTROYS L.A.P. BUILDING
Flames broke out in the basement of the Los Angeles Pacific building at 314 W. Fourth St., adjoining the Broadway Department Store, at 2 o’clock yesterday afternoon and threatened serious loss.
The fire is believed to have had its origin in the rear of the basement, under the Sunset Bakery, at 320 W. 4th Street.
Fourth Street from Broadway to Hill was speedily roped off to keep the crowds back, and Broadway became a mass of humanity within a few minutes. Great volumes of smoke could be seen rolling up over the Broadway Department Store, creating the impression that it was that great store which was burning.
So quickly did the flames spread in the lower portions of the Los Angeles Pacific Building that the clerks and stenographers of the railway company in the offices on the second floor could not reach safety by the stairway or elevator. Fifteen girls and women were taken from the windows of the second floor with ladders.
The clouds of smoke that rolled from the building did not begin to compare in size with the cloud of spectators which sought to reach the scene of the fire.
1931. "Brandon, James River, Prince George County, Virginia. Built ca. 1730 by Nathaniel Harrison II and for two centuries the home of the Harrison family. The central block connecting the two older wings is supposed to have been designed by Thomas Jefferson in 1789 upon his return from France." 8x10 inch acetate negative by Frances Benjamin Johnston. View full size.