C&O 2-8-4 #2717 at Parsons engine terminal, Columbus, Ohio in July, 1946. Built by American Locomotive Company, Schnectady, NY 1943. Due to the road's southern headquarters, the C&O refused to call their 2-8-4's Berkshire types, opting for the title Kanawha after the West Virgina river the C&O main runs next to for many miles. Crews referred to them as 2700's or "Big Mikes", as they were bigger than the 2-8-2 Mikado type. C&O owned 90 Kanawhas, 70 built by ALCO and 20 built by Lima Locomotive Works.
C&O Kanawhas are probably the most prolific steam age survivors. About a dozen still exist in various parks and museums, though a couple have been scrapped since due to vandalism and weather deterioration.
| Click image for Comments.