MAY CONTAIN NUTS
SHORPY
HOME
 
JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600
VINTAGRAPH • WPA • WWII • RAINIER NATIONAL PARK: c. 1920s

The Old Mint: 1940

The Old Mint: 1940

        U.S. Government bought property of Curtis, Perry & Ward, assayers, for $335,000 and reconstructed building as fireproof three-story brick. Opened as U.S. Mint April 3, 1854. Old building razed 1874. New Sub-Treasury built 1875-1877, four-story pressed brick on granite sills. Building partially destroyed by fire and dynamited in 1906 earthquake ($13 million in gold saved in basement vaults). Restored as one-story building. Passed into private hands in 1915. —HABS, 1940

March 1940. "McCoy Label Co., old U.S. Sub-Treasury & Mint, 608 Commercial Street, San Francisco." Break time for the label-gummers. Photo by A.J. Wittlock for the Historic American Buildings Survey. View full size.

 

On Shorpy:
Today’s Top 5

Unlabled Parking

The car closest to the guys on the steps is a 1937 Dodge 4-door Trunk Sedan with 185,483 built. This was by far Dodge's biggest production vehicle for the year accounting for 62% of their entire model year production.

The auto behind the Dodge is a 1935 Terraplane Series G. The Series G cars lacked the window vent panes and dual horns under the headlights.

New Building?

Not a problem, just build around the old facade. Looks like a historic plaque was added, as well:


View Larger Map

Syndicate content  Shorpy.com is a vintage photography site featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago. Contact us | Privacy policy | Site © 2019 Shorpy Inc.