JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600

Ladies Who Launch: 1913

Ladies Who Launch: 1913

March 8, 1913. Wyandotte, Michigan. "Steamers A.D. MacTier and F.P. Jones, sponsors." 8x10 inch dry plate glass negative. View full size.


On Shorpy:
Today’s Top 5

looking upstream

I think this was taken looking upstream from the foot of Eureka Road towards Detroit. The Ore boat in the background may be bringing coal to the Wyandotte Edison power plant.

These young ladies are

Miss Louisa Howard who christened the MacTier, daughter of John C. Howard, president and general manager of the George Hall Coal Company, Ogdensburg, New York, and Miss Frances Gualdo Strong who christened, thirteen minutes later, the Jones, daughter of Edward L. Strong, the company's assistant treasurer. The F. P. Jones was named in honor of the vice president and general manager of the Canada Cement Company, Ltd., Montreal. The MacTier is in the background, the Jones at the left about ready to launch.

Ships' History

The steamer F.P. Jones was sold several times over the years and had her named changed each time. In 1940, as the Arlington, she sank in a storm carrying grain from Ontario to Michigan. It broke apart when a hatch cover gave way and the grain got wet. As the grain started to expand it broke out bulkheads between holds. The crew abandon ship against Capt. Burke’s orders, claiming their actions were mutiny. Capt. Burke, brother of the owner, went down with his ship on May 1st 1940 at 05:15.

The steamer A.D. MacTier was built for and sailed her entire career for the George Hall Coal Co. In October 1926 she ran aground on Leander Shoal, in clear weather, due to command issues on the bridge. After several attempts to re-float her failed, she was totally destroyed on October 26th by a large storm.

A.D. MacTier was the general superintendent of the Canadian Pacific Railroad. In 1908 the town of Muskoka Station was renamed MacTier to help alleviate the confusion with other similarly named villages in the area. Muskoka Station was founded by the Canadian Pacific Railroad. In the 1880s it became a switching station for the railroad.

Syndicate content is a vintage photography site featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago. Contact us | Privacy policy | Site © 2022 Shorpy Inc.