MAY CONTAIN NUTS
SHORPY
HOME
 
JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600
VINTAGRAPH • WPA • WWII • VINTAGE CHRISTMAS ART

Omaha Suds: 1938

Omaha Suds: 1938

November 1938. "Saloon near entrance to Union Stockyards. South Omaha, Nebraska." Medium format negative by John Vachon. View full size.

 

On Shorpy:
Today’s Top 5

Political Poster

The poster on the phone pole must have been for Robert LeRoy "Roy" Cochran. He was the first 3 term Democratic Nebraska governor and served in both World Wars.

Cornice symbolism?

Is the emblem on the stone cornice a Masonic symbol?

Still there(ish) !

Bananas, Beer, and Beef

In the late 1920s and early 1930s the building, 5001 South 26 Street, at the intersection of O Street, housed Harry Sokoloff's fruit store. The Omaha City Directories for 1935 through 1938 show that Mrs. Anna Miller occupied the building as a retail “beverages” and “restaurant and lunch room.” In 1934 and 1935 an Omaha newspaper advertised “Help Wanted, Female, Girls for Cabaret Cafe,” apply at “Nebraska Cafe,” 5001 South 26th Street. In 1941, the liquor license was held by Patrick Payne, Jr.

The building, in substantially reduced form, still occupies the corner, now surrounded by emptiness. The cornice and associated detail are gone, but the limestone water-table banding below the windows and the window lintels and keystone ornaments remain, as does the distinctive diagonal entrance.

In the 1960s, the building was an office for TransAmerican Freightlines. The O Street Bridge, using 3 Whipple Through Truss spans originally built in 1885 by the Union Pacific Railroad and moved to O Street in 1904, was demolished in 2001.

Syndicate content  Shorpy.com is a vintage photography site featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago. Contact us | Privacy policy | Site © 2019 Shorpy Inc.