MAY CONTAIN NUTS
HOME
 
JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600
VINTAGRAPH • WPA • WWII • WWI: IF YOU CAN'T ENLIST - INVEST
 

Shorpy members who are Patreon contributors get an ad-free experience! (Mostly -- there's still an ad above the comments.) Sign up or learn more.

Baby Pavilion: 1913

Baby Pavilion: 1913

July 14, 1913. Rock Creek Park in Washington, D.C. "Camp Goodwill baby hospital." National Photo Company Collection glass negative. View full size.

 

On Shorpy:
Today’s Top 5

Therapeutic Air

Washington Post, Jul 28, 1912

The Baby Hospital Camp, the new annex to Camp Good Will, will be open Friday, August 2, from 5 to 8 o'clock in the evening. Situatated on a breezy ridge in Rock Creek park the hospital is the pride of the camp. Its screened porches allow full advantage of the country air, and are ideal for the care of children. Mothers are then trained in the scientific care of their babies.


Washington Post, Aug 4, 1912

The baby hospital at Camp Good Will, has been in operation during the past few days, and is the most popular branch of the work there. Instructors began their first lessons in the scientific care of the baby, and many mothers absorbed every modicum of information given them.

Two dozen babies, sickly and wan are now in the cool, sanitary hospital and a ruddier color in their cheeks and a more playful attitude bespeaks the good accomplished by the camp. The retreat is as cool as the floating hospitals of New York, according to the officials of the Associated Charities.

Navy Yard week at the camp begins today. Instead of their regular river excursions for widows and children, employees of the navy yard decided to support 150 mothers and children at the camp for a week. There will be athletic events and handsome prizes given. Frank De Groot is in charge of the arrangements for the week.

Baby Hospital Camp

From backintime:

One of the earliest facilities introduced into Rock Creek Park was Camp Goodwill. This summer camp for deprived white children and their mothers began its operations in 1905 under the sponsorship of the Committee on the Prevention of Consumption.
....
Camp Goodwill and its affiliate, the Baby Hospital Camp, were placed on the Cowden and Freas farms, which were located between the Milk House Ford and Sixteenth Street to the north of Military Road.

Syndicate content  Shorpy.com is a vintage photography site featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago. Contact us | Privacy policy | Site © 2021 Shorpy Inc.