MAY CONTAIN NUTS
SHORPY
<< PREV       MEMBER PHOTOS HOME       NEXT >>
 
 
NEW FROM THE VINTAGRAPH VAULTS • POUR IT ON: WWII POSTER

Thimk or Thwim: 1956

Thimk or Thwim: 1956

October 1956. From an 8x10 glossy photograph. "Old office in small church. Staff of St Luke's. L to R, Mabel Getchell, Rev. John Sanford, Elmer Nigg (Sexton), Rev. Morton Kelsey, Bernice Pursel, and Virginia Speer (in front). 1956"

This was St Lukes in Monrovia CA.

Alligator Man

Alligator Man

Man wrestling an alligator. Late 1960s or early 1970s Florida. From my grandparents' slides.

Pan Am Building: Late 1960s

Pan Am Building: Late 1960s

New York City. Looks like the late 1960s. From my grandparents' slides.

Lunar Lander

Lunar Lander

Photo of a full scale model of a lunar lander. Taken in Florida. Date unknown. From my grandparents' slides.

Snake River Park: 1960s

Snake River Park: 1960s

Snake River Park in Wyoming during the 1960s. From my grandparents' slides.

Peoria Women's Club: 1900

Peoria Women's Club: 1900

The Music Hall & Peoria Women's Club Building, located at Fayette and Madison Streets, 301 NE Madison, Peoria, Illinois. The Women's Club was established in 1886 by Clara Parsons Bourland. The Club raised $25,000 for the construction of the club building and upstairs music hall, erected in 1893, being dedicated on Jan 15, 1894. The second floor houses an unused grand Vaudeville stage, that seats 453, a fire in 1970 did much damage. Formed in 1886, the club continues to hold meetings in a distinctive red brick building at 301 NE Madison Ave., in use since 1893.

Original photos taken by William A. Gregory who lived on North Sheridan in Peoria. William worked for Frank D. Murray, a Peoria contractor (1881-1957) who built 100+ houses, including a good number on Frye Ave. William A. Gregory was an amateur photographer, picking up the hobby early on, taking thousands of architectural and event pictures of Peoria.

Corn Exposition: 1898

Corn Exposition: 1898

The Peoria Corn Exposition (or Corn Carnival) was a late summer attraction in Peoria from 1898 to 1902 with headquarters in this building on Globe Street between Main & Hamilton Streets. This wooden octagonal building which seated 7,000 was first built as a tabernacle for religious meetings. As the Corn Palace, the entire theme of decoration was corn, both inside and out. The week-long carnival included street shows with music or jugglers at nine different downtown corners, concerts by numerous bands, a governor's day with an industrial parade, bicycle races, a ladies day, husking matches, fireworks displays, premium awards at the Exposition Building and a Grand-Masked Parade and Carnival. The 1900 program lists the official song with music by Prof. Eugene Plowe and words by Peoria poet Edna Dean Proctor. "Blazon Columbia's Emblem, the Bounteous Golden Corn."

Original photos taken by William A. Gregory who lived on North Sheridan in Peoria. William worked for Frank D. Murray, a Peoria contractor (1881-1957) who built 100+ houses, including a good number on Frye Ave. William A. Gregory was an amateur photographer, picking up the hobby early on, taking thousands of architectural and event pictures of Peoria.

Peoria Corn Exposition: 1900

Peoria Corn Exposition: 1900

The Peoria Corn Exposition (or Corn Carnival) was a late summer attraction in Peoria from 1898 to 1902 with headquarters in this building on Globe Street between Main & Hamilton Streets. This wooden octagonal building which seated 7,000 was first built as a tabernacle for religious meetings. As the Corn Palace, the entire theme of decoration was corn, both inside and out. The week-long carnival included street shows with music or jugglers at nine different downtown corners, concerts by numerous bands, a governor's day with an industrial parade, bicycle races, a ladies day, husking matches, fireworks displays, premium awards at the Exposition Building and a Grand-Masked Parade and Carnival. The 1900 program lists the official song with music by Prof. Eugene Plowe and words by Peoria poet Edna Dean Proctor. "Blazon Columbia's Emblem, the Bounteous Golden Corn."

Original photos taken by William A. Gregory who lived on North Sheridan in Peoria. William worked for Frank D. Murray, a Peoria contractor (1881-1957) who built 100+ houses, including a good number on Frye Ave. William A. Gregory was an amateur photographer, picking up the hobby early on, taking thousands of architectural and event pictures of Peoria.

Leaving for War:1898

Leaving for War:1898

Leaving for the Spanish-American War, downtown Peoria, IL (1898).

Original photos taken by William A. Gregory who lived on North Sheridan in Peoria. William worked for Frank D. Murray, a Peoria contractor (1881-1957) who built 100+ houses, including a good number on Frye Ave. William A. Gregory was an amateur photographer, picking up the hobby early on, taking thousands of architectural and event pictures of Peoria.

Peoria City Hall: 1899

Peoria City Hall: 1899

Peoria City Hall, built in 1897, completed in 1898, dedicated January 5 to January 7, 1899.

“This building will stand as a monument to the zeal and energy of the present, and be enjoyed by those who may not remember that we ever existed.” - Mayor of Peoria, John Warner, 1899

"The present City Hall was completed in 1898, at a cost of $234,592 and is one of the finest structures in the city. It is four stories high and built of rough brown stone. A tower extends from the roof, in which is hung the old alarm bell, formerly used in the tower of the old City Hall, simply for preservation, as the telephone and electrical appliances of the present day have superseded the fire bell for all time." -- Peoria of Today with Peoria Blue Book Directory (1915)

Original photos taken by William A. Gregory who lived on North Sheridan in Peoria. William worked for Frank D. Murray, a Peoria contractor (1881-1957) who built 100+ houses, including a good number on Frye Ave. William A. Gregory was an amateur photographer, picking up the hobby early on, taking thousands of architectural and event pictures of Peoria.

Lemon H. Wiley: 1862

Lemon H. Wiley: 1862

Lemon H. Wiley, band leader and principal musician of the 77th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (M539 ROLL 98), Aug. 15, 1862. He was promoted to Principal Musician June 29, 1864, Elmwood, IL (CdV).

From "Peoria City and County, Illinois: A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement, Volume 2" by James Montgomery Rice, Pub. S. J. Clarke, 1912.

Hiroshima Children: 1948

Hiroshima Children: 1948

Hiroshima children holding burnt rocks from atomic blast. They moved down to the city from the hills after the atomic bomb explosion. Occupied Japan, March 7, 1948.

Captain Clarence V. Ward was sent with the US Army to provide ophthalmology care to war-refugee Japanese children and adults as well as American Service personnel.

From a photo album titled "Pictures from Japan and Elsewhere." Occupied Japan era, Captain Clarence V. Ward, US Army from 1947-1949, 28th General Hospital, Osaka, Japan. Clarence lived in Peoria, Illinois (Feb. 13, 1922 - June 5, 2009).

Ward served in the US Army from 1947-1949, 28th General Hospital, Osaka, Japan attaining the rank of Captain. He graduated from St. Bernard's Grade School in 1936; Spalding Institute in 1940; University of Notre Dame in 1944 where he earned his BS; and University of St. Louis School of Medicine in 1946. He served his internship at St. John's Hospital in St. Louis, MO from 1946-1947; Post Graduate at Northwestern University in Ophthalmology from 1949-1950; Residency at Hines Veterans Hospital in Hines, IL from 1950-1952 in Ophthalmology. He was an Ophthalmologist full time from 1952-1995 and part time from 1996-2004.

Ruins of Hiroshima: 1948

Ruins of Hiroshima: 1948

Captain Clarence V. Ward and a friend, Sgt. Ames, overlooking the ruins of Hiroshima, March 7, 1948 (unposed picture).

Ward was sent with the US Army to provide ophthalmology care to war-refugee Japanese children and adults as well as American Service personnel.

From a photo album titled "Pictures from Japan and Elsewhere." Occupied Japan era, Captain Clarence V. Ward, US Army from 1947-1949, 28th General Hospital, Osaka, Japan. Clarence lived in Peoria, Illinois (Feb. 13, 1922 - June 5, 2009).

Ward served in the US Army from 1947-1949, 28th General Hospital, Osaka, Japan attaining the rank of Captain. He graduated from St. Bernard's Grade School in 1936; Spalding Institute in 1940; University of Notre Dame in 1944 where he earned his BS; and University of St. Louis School of Medicine in 1946. He served his internship at St. John's Hospital in St. Louis, MO from 1946-1947; Post Graduate at Northwestern University in Ophthalmology from 1949-1950; Residency at Hines Veterans Hospital in Hines, IL from 1950-1952 in Ophthalmology. He was an Ophthalmologist full time from 1952-1995 and part time from 1996-2004.

New Years Day: 1948

New Years Day: 1948

Bill Breshlin, friend of Captain Clarence V. Ward, and his two friends who are dressed up for the holidays.

Ward was sent with the US Army to provide ophthalmology care to war-refugee Japanese children and adults as well as American Service personnel.

From a photo album titled "Pictures from Japan and Elsewhere." Occupied Japan era, Captain Clarence V. Ward, US Army from 1947-1949, 28th General Hospital, Osaka, Japan. Clarence lived in Peoria, Illinois (Feb. 13, 1922 - June 5, 2009).

Ward served in the US Army from 1947-1949, 28th General Hospital, Osaka, Japan attaining the rank of Captain. He graduated from St. Bernard's Grade School in 1936; Spalding Institute in 1940; University of Notre Dame in 1944 where he earned his BS; and University of St. Louis School of Medicine in 1946. He served his internship at St. John's Hospital in St. Louis, MO from 1946-1947; Post Graduate at Northwestern University in Ophthalmology from 1949-1950; Residency at Hines Veterans Hospital in Hines, IL from 1950-1952 in Ophthalmology. He was an Ophthalmologist full time from 1952-1995 and part time from 1996-2004.

USS Morton: 1947

USS Morton: 1947

USS Morton (DD-948) a Forrest Sherman-class destroyer of the United States Navy. This is the ship Clarence V. Ward first sailed on to Japan.

Ward was sent with the US Army to provide ophthalmology care to war-refugee Japanese children and adults as well as American Service personnel.

From a photo album titled "Pictures from Japan and Elsewhere." Occupied Japan era, Captain Clarence V. Ward, US Army from 1947-1949, 28th General Hospital, Osaka, Japan. Clarence lived in Peoria, Illinois (Feb. 13, 1922 - June 5, 2009).

Ward served in the US Army from 1947-1949, 28th General Hospital, Osaka, Japan attaining the rank of Captain. He graduated from St. Bernard's Grade School in 1936; Spalding Institute in 1940; University of Notre Dame in 1944 where he earned his BS; and University of St. Louis School of Medicine in 1946. He served his internship at St. John's Hospital in St. Louis, MO from 1946-1947; Post Graduate at Northwestern University in Ophthalmology from 1949-1950; Residency at Hines Veterans Hospital in Hines, IL from 1950-1952 in Ophthalmology. He was an Ophthalmologist full time from 1952-1995 and part time from 1996-2004.

Syndicate content  Shorpy.com is a vintage photography site featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago. Contact us | Privacy policy | Site © 2019 Shorpy Inc.