A spectacular fire that spread with a rapidity that stunned firemen virtually destroyed the five-story warehouse of S. Kann & Sons, at Eighth and D streets northwest, shortly after 7 o'clock last night. Merchandise valued at $175,000 was destroyed by the fire, which raced through the building as though fanned by a giant bellows.
It is believed that a cigarette was accidentally thrown into a basket of excelsior and that the basket was moved into the packing room from the street. -- Washington Post
January 10, 1925. Washington, D.C. "Fire at S. Kanns warehouse, Eighth and D streets N.W." National Photo Company Collection glass negative.
| Click image for Comments.
| Browse All Photos