The Shorpy Archive
 
6000+ fine-art prints suitable for framing. Desk-size to sofa-size and larger, on archival paper or canvas.
 
Join and Share

 
Social Shorpy

To love him is to like him. Our goal: 100k "likes":

 
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Daily e-mail updates:

 
 
 
 
Member Photos


Photos submitted by Shorpy members.

 
Colorized Photos


Colorized photos submitted by members.

 
About the Photos

Most of the photos on this site were extracted from reference images (high-resolution tiffs, 20 to 200 megabytes in size) from the Library of Congress research archive. (To query the database click here.) Many were digitized by LOC contractors using a Sinar studio back. They are adjusted by your webmaster for contrast and color in Photoshop before being downsized and turned into the jpegs you see here.

 
 
JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600
VINTAGRAPH • WPA • WWII • EAT MORE FISH, 1917

Filling Station: 1924

Tags:
Filling Station: 1924

Washington Post staff photographer Hugh Miller in 1924, clowning with an item that, along with lampposts and mailboxes, used to be common piece of urban street furniture: the sidewalk horse-waterer. National Photo Co. View full size.

 

Surviving Washington DC Horse Trough

Located at the trail head in Rock Creek Park near the intersection of Joyce Road, NW and Beach Drive, NW. Along top rim are embossed letters reading HUMANE SOCIETY WASHINGTON, D. C. On the side is a plaque that reads DONATED BY MRS. THOS. R. BAYARD.

According to James M. Goode's 1979 "Capitol Losses" (p. 458), another trough is located at the Bryant Street Pumping Station. Does anyone know if others have survived?

Turf Photographer


Washington Post, November 11, 1979.

Hugh Miller Dies; Post's Ex-Photo Chief.

Hugh Miller, 82, retired chief of the photographic department at The Washington Post, died Saturday at a nursing home in Scottsdale, Ariz. …

When he retired in 1967, he recalled covering every presidential inauguration since Warren Harding's in 1921, except for the first Franklin D. Roosevelt Inaugural in 1933. Mr. Miller, who had joined The Post in 1921, left the nation's capital in 1929 to become the turf photographer for the New York Morning Telegraph, so he absent for the first Roosevelt Inaugural

He went on to become one of the foremost turf photographers in the country. Five years later, however, he returned to The Post to work for its new publisher, Eugene Meyer. While he continued to go out occasionally on some major stories, Mr. Miller spent most of his time running the photographic department and serving as picture editor.

In the late 1940s, he concentrated on designing a photographic laboratory for the new Washington Post building on L Street NW. The Post moved there from its old on E Street NW in 1950. Mr. Miller's laboratory was considered the most up-to-date of any in the country. His greatest delight was to take visitors through it on a guided tour.

His heyday as a photographer had come during the 1920s. When the roof of the Knickerbocker Theater collapsed in 1923, killing 98 persons, Mr. Miller was the only photographer to get inside and snap pictures. He did that by pretending to be a welder.

Among the many other major disasters he covered during the period, when he produced striking photographs, were a Peoples Drug warehouse fire, a Kann's warehouse fire, a tornado in La Plata, Md., and an explosion at the National Bureau of Standards laboratory.

Mr. Miller, who was born in New York City, had started fooling around with cameras while he was a teen-ager. In World War I, he went overseas with an ambulance group that served with the French army. At war's end, he reached his first photo assignment. He shot a picture of the peace march of the Allies along the Champs Elysees in Paris for the Paris Tribune.

Mr. Miller came to Washington after the war and worked for the Underwood and Underwood news photograph service before joining the Post. He was founder and life member of the White House News Photographers Association. …

Location

This was probably the south side of D Street NW between 9th and 10th, across from the old Post building. The tall building left of the tree would be the old Vernon Row, at the corner of 10th and D and Pennsylvania Avenue.

Horse Watering

There used to be a horse watering bucket in New York City on 14th Street and 1st Avenue in front of Immaculate Conception Church. Stood there till 1997 when I last saw it, don't know if it has been moved or not. Since horses are not seen anymore it was filled with garbage, soda and beer cans, the usual debris.

 
THE 100-YEAR-OLD PHOTO BLOG
Shorpy.com | History in HD is a vintage photo blog featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago.

Syndicate content RSS | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Photo Use | © 2014 Shorpy Inc.