SHORPY Historic Photo Archive & Fine-Art Prints
The Shorpy Archive
9000+ fine-art prints suitable for framing. Desk-size to sofa-size and larger, on archival paper or canvas.
Join and Share

Social Shorpy

Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Syndicate content

Join our mailing list (enter email):

Member Photos

Photos submitted by Shorpy members.

Colorized Photos

Colorized photos submitted by members.

About the Photos

Our holdings include hundreds of glass and film negatives/transparencies that we've scanned ourselves; in addition, many other photos on this site were extracted from reference images (high-resolution tiffs) in the Library of Congress research archive. (To query the database click here.) They are adjusted, restored and reworked by your webmaster in accordance with his aesthetic sensibilities before being downsized and turned into the jpegs you see here. All of these images (including "derivative works") are protected by copyright laws of the United States and other jurisdictions and may not be sold, reproduced or otherwise used for commercial purposes without permission.

© 2019 SHORPY INC.

[REV 25-NOV-2014]

JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600

Newspaper Row: 1921

Newspaper Row: 1921

Washington, D.C., circa 1921. "Washington Post building, 1339 E Street." Neighbors are the Washington Times in the much bigger Munsey Trust Building, and a Chinese restaurant ("Canton Pagoda") to the left. Out front, signs with the day's headlines as well as racing results, and a Dalton "Adding/Listing and Calculating Machines" truck. National Photo Co. glass negative. View full size.

On Shorpy:
Today's Top 5
To stay online without a paywall or a lot of pop-up ads, Shorpy needs your help. (Our server rental alone is $3,000 a year.) You can contribute by becoming a Patron, or by purchasing a print from the Shorpy Archive. Or both! Read more about our 2019 pledge drive here. Our last word on the subject is: Thanks!

The Lineup

Left-to-right: circa 1918 Ford Model-T 2-passenger coupé; circa 1918-19 Haynes "Light Twelve" Fourdore four-passenger roadster; circa 1918-20 Dodge touring; late-teens custom-bodied Ford Model-T truck; circa 1919-21 Chevorlet Series FB four-door five-passenger touring.


Handsome Architectural Adornment

Ice Gang is correct that the right (east) portion of the building is a later addition. Other views at Pennsylvania Avenue: 1910, Radio School: 1920 and Weather Report: 1921. The Post Building was razed in 1954.

Other Appleton P. Clark, jr. designs featured at Shorpy include the Barrister Building and District Motor Co.

Washington Post, December 6, 1927.

The Post Reaches its Fiftieth Milestone

Paper's History One of Courage and Upbuilding.

… On September 4, 1892, The Post had announced that Mr. Appleton P. Clark, jr., had been selected the day before as the architect of the new building which the paper proposed to erect "on the vacant lot at the crossing of E street and Pennsylvania avenue," … The new Post Building was at the time by far the handsomest architectural adornment which Pennsylvania avenue had ever known, and it still remains today, as enlarged later in accordance with the original design, a splendid memorial to the talent of the architect. The whole neighborhood has since been beautifully improved by such stately buildings as the new offices of the Southern Railway, the Municipal Building, the Munsey Building, the New National Theater, the Earle Theater and the new Willard Hotel, but at the time, The Post removed there it was very much run down, and it was with prophetic vision of the future that the choice was made. …

The front of the building was of Indiana limestone, which was particularly adapted to the style of architecture, the Gothic-Romanesque. The first floor was built in triple arcade, the ground plan of the original building measured 40.6 feet front by 159 feet deep. The composing room was on the second floor, and the editorial department on the third, as at present. …

East of the new home of The Post was a locality of wide local and national fame, "Rum Row," filled with saloons, and in the earlier days, rendezvous of the gambling fraternity.

… in 1906 an addition to the building was erected on the east side, on the site of Charles G. Ball's old stove store, at 1337 E street. The plans were drawn by Mr. A.P. Clark, architect of the original building, and the new structure was completed in accordance with the design of the first, and of the same materials. …

Weird balcony

What is that weird balcony thing at the top? Is that where the king comes out to address the peasants?

Just down the street

A few years earlier, there was this.

It must be winter.

Some of the cars have blankets over the hoods to trap the heat.

Mysterious architecture

this building seems to have 4 or 5 different styles, is it one and a half buildings? the lower windows are unique, and that wonderful round balcony at the peak, must be a first.

Okay, car nuts -

name the make and year of the cars and truck lined up out front, please.


I need some of those gargoyles above the fifth floor windows for a little home improvement project I have in mind.

SHORPY OLD PHOTO ARCHIVE | History in HD is a vintage photo archive featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1960s. (Available as fine-art prints from the Shorpy Archive.) The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago.

Syndicate content RSS | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Photo Use | © 2019 Shorpy Inc.