The Shorpy Archive
 
6000+ fine-art prints suitable for framing. Desk-size to sofa-size and larger, on archival paper or canvas.
 
Join and Share

 
Social Shorpy

To love him is to like him. Our goal: 100k "likes":

 
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Daily e-mail updates:

 
 
 
 
Member Photos


Photos submitted by Shorpy members.

 
Colorized Photos


Colorized photos submitted by members.

 
About the Photos

Our holdings include hundreds of glass and film negatives/transparencies that we've scanned ourselves; in addition, many other photos on this site were extracted from reference images (high-resolution tiffs) in the Library of Congress research archive. (To query the database click here.) They are adjusted, restored and reworked by your webmaster in accordance with his aesthetic sensibilities before being downsized and turned into the jpegs you see here. All of these images (including "derivative works") are protected by copyright laws of the United States and other jurisdictions and may not be sold, reproduced or otherwise used for commercial purposes without permission.

WEB SITE & CONTENTS
© 2014 SHORPY INC.

[REV 25-NOV-2014]

 
 
JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600
VINTAGRAPH • WPA • WWII • THE TOY DEPARTMENT, 1913

Polo Grounds: 1909

Polo Grounds: 1909

New York, 1909. "Polo Grounds, view from Coogan's Bluff (baseball)." 8x10 inch glass negative, George Grantham Bain Collection. View full size.

 

Roof material

Anyone have any thoughts as what the roof is made of and what color it would be? Is it a sort of whitewashed rubber?

An Older Polo Grounds?

Is this the predecessor of the Polo Grounds familiar to most of us, the one that was home to the Giants, Mets, and Jets?

I believe there have been several stadiums on the site. This would not be the first, but is it the second or the third?

Gone without a ... well, _almost_ without a trace

The Polo Grounds have been gone for over a half-century, with a housing project now occupying the site. It's the same fate as its better-known counterpart Ebbets Field. Other than a plaque on one of the project's buildings indicating the location of home plate, no physical trace of the Polo Grounds remains - with one curious exception. Opened around 1913 and restored just a couple years ago, the John T. Brush Stairway runs down Coogan's Bluff from Edgecombe Avenue to what was the stadium's main entrance. It provided convenient access to the trolleys that ran along Edgecombe.

Pre-restoration:

 
THE 100-YEAR-OLD PHOTO BLOG
Shorpy.com | History in HD is a vintage photo blog featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago.

Syndicate content RSS | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Photo Use | © 2014 Shorpy Inc.