SHORPY Historic Photo Archive & Fine-Art Prints
 
The Shorpy Archive
 
6000+ fine-art prints suitable for framing. Desk-size to sofa-size and larger, on archival paper or canvas.
 
Join and Share

 
Social Shorpy

To love him is to like him. Our goal: 100k "likes":

 
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Daily e-mail updates:

 
 
 

 
Member Photos


Photos submitted by Shorpy members.

 
Colorized Photos


Colorized photos submitted by members.

 
About the Photos

Our holdings include hundreds of glass and film negatives/transparencies that we've scanned ourselves; in addition, many other photos on this site were extracted from reference images (high-resolution tiffs) in the Library of Congress research archive. (To query the database click here.) They are adjusted, restored and reworked by your webmaster in accordance with his aesthetic sensibilities before being downsized and turned into the jpegs you see here. All of these images (including "derivative works") are protected by copyright laws of the United States and other jurisdictions and may not be sold, reproduced or otherwise used for commercial purposes without permission.

WEB SITE & CONTENTS
© 2017 SHORPY INC.

[REV 25-NOV-2014]

 
 
JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600
VINTAGRAPH • WPA • WWII • JOIN THE NAVY, 1917

Cats of War: 1942

Cats of War: 1942

November 1942. "Columbia Steel Company at Geneva, Utah. Bulldozer handling gravel for concrete during the construction of a new steel mill which will make important additions to the vast amount of steel needed for the war effort." Photo by Andreas Feininger for the Office of War Information. View full size.

 
On Shorpy:
Today's Top 5

Cozy

The canvas "heat houser" on this D8 directs radiator air back to the operator, making the otherwise wide open deck almost toasty. The firewall on these early D8's is narrow at the bottom, providing plenty of open area for the heat to pass thru.

Here is a restored D8 of similar vintage, albeit with an adjustable angle blade.

Columbia Steel

Columbia Steel was built by the government in WWII to provide a source of steel to the shipyards on the west coast that was not vulnerable to Japanese attack. It was cobbled together from used equipment from all over the country and opened in 1944.

Development included coal and iron mines in Utah to supply it.

During and just after the war it was operated by U S Steel for the government.

After the war it was sold to U S Steel who operated it until 1987. It was then purchased by local interests and operated as Geneva Steel until it closed in 2002.

The facility is currently being parted out.

The bulldozer is a Caterpillar, probably a D6, maybe a smaller model.

 
SHORPY HISTORICAL PHOTO ARCHIVE
Shorpy.com | History in HD is a vintage photo archive featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1960s. (Available as fine-art prints from the Shorpy Archive.) The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago.

Syndicate content RSS | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Photo Use | © 2017 Shorpy Inc.