SHORPY Historic Photo Archive & Fine-Art Prints
 
The Shorpy Archive
 
6000+ fine-art prints suitable for framing. Desk-size to sofa-size and larger, on archival paper or canvas.
 
Join and Share

 
Social Shorpy

To love him is to like him. Our goal: 100k "likes":

 
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Daily e-mail updates:

 
 
 

 
Member Photos


Photos submitted by Shorpy members.

 
Colorized Photos


Colorized photos submitted by members.

 
About the Photos

Our holdings include hundreds of glass and film negatives/transparencies that we've scanned ourselves; in addition, many other photos on this site were extracted from reference images (high-resolution tiffs) in the Library of Congress research archive. (To query the database click here.) They are adjusted, restored and reworked by your webmaster in accordance with his aesthetic sensibilities before being downsized and turned into the jpegs you see here. All of these images (including "derivative works") are protected by copyright laws of the United States and other jurisdictions and may not be sold, reproduced or otherwise used for commercial purposes without permission.

WEB SITE & CONTENTS
© 2017 SHORPY INC.

[REV 25-NOV-2014]

 
 
JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600
VINTAGRAPH • WPA • WWII • JOIN THE NAVY, 1917

Nicollet Avenue: 1904

Nicollet Avenue: 1904

Circa 1904. "Nicollet Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota." 8x10 inch dry plate glass negative, Detroit Publishing Company. View full size.

 
On Shorpy:
Today's Top 5

New facades on old department stores

Like the old Donaldson's building, the building one block further north on Nicollet (between Sixth and Fifth Streets) survived until the 1980s. According to a 2013 City of Minneapolis Community Planning and Economic Development staff report, that building was constructed in 1890. The occupant in 1912 was the Minneapolis Dry Goods Company. In 1934 the tenant was the Leader Department Store. A 1944 map identifies the occupant as The Baker Company Department Store. J.C. Penney occupied the building from approximately 1955 through 1989. By then, its windows had long been covered by a long wall of modernist dark stone. It was demolished in 1991 to make way for a mixed-use development (that included a Nieman Marcus store that did not endure).

Donaldson's Dome

I believe they had a roof garden up there by the dome, which was dismantled during WWII for the scrap metal.

Boarded windows

Does anyone know why the Donaldson's Department store building at right has so many boarded up windows? Must be a story behind this. Also what was the big dome atop it used for?

Donaldson's Glass Block

The building to the right, with the dome on the Sixth Street corner, is the old Donaldson's Department store, which burned down on Thanksgiving night 1982. Arson suspected.

 
SHORPY HISTORICAL PHOTO ARCHIVE
Shorpy.com | History in HD is a vintage photo archive featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1960s. (Available as fine-art prints from the Shorpy Archive.) The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago.

Syndicate content RSS | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Photo Use | © 2017 Shorpy Inc.