The Shorpy Archive
 
6000+ fine-art prints suitable for framing. Desk-size to sofa-size and larger, on archival paper or canvas.
 
Join and Share

 
Social Shorpy

To love him is to like him. Our goal: 100k "likes":

 
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Syndicate content
Daily e-mail updates:

 
 
 
 
Member Photos


Photos submitted by Shorpy members.

 
Colorized Photos


Colorized photos submitted by members.

 
About the Photos

Most of the photos on this site were extracted from reference images (high-resolution tiffs, 20 to 200 megabytes in size) from the Library of Congress research archive. (To query the database click here.) Many were digitized by LOC contractors using a Sinar studio back. They are adjusted by your webmaster for contrast and color in Photoshop before being downsized and turned into the jpegs you see here.

 
 
JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600
VINTAGRAPH • WPA • WWII • EAT MORE FISH, 1917

Washington Accessories: 1922

Washington Accessories: 1922

"Filling station, 17th & L." The Washington Accessories Co. service station under construction at 1703 L Street N.W. in early 1922 next to the Stoneleigh Garage. National Photo Company Collection glass negative. View full size.

 

Another Beresford Project

Washington Post Oct 9, 1921

Fine Gas and Oil Station for City

Washington Accessories Co. to Build at Corner of
17th and L Streets Northwest.

Will Be Largest in Capital

A splendidly equipped gasoline and oil station and motor accessories business will be opened in the immediate future by the Washington Accessories Company on the large vacant property at the northwest corner of Seventeenth and L streets northwest. The company has been formed by W.T. Galliher, C.E. Galliher and Allan E. Walker, who also own a gasoline and accessory business at Tenth and E streets northwest.

The new station will be the largest and most elaborate in the city, and will be well in keeping with the magnificent stations scattered throughout the middle West.

The new company will occupy a large section of the square bounded by Connecticut avenue, DeSales street, Seventeenth street and L street. It is the aim of the company to make the side the most attractive gasoline station in the city. Wide driveways will provide quick and easy access and six large gasoline pumps and five oil pumps will make for rapid service.

A two-story-and-cellar brick building will be erected to house the accessories department, after plans by Robert F. Beresford. The construction will be by the Allan E. Walker Investment Company. This building will face on L street.

The building will have large plate glass show windows running two stories high and fronting both on L and Seventeenth street. The finish of the building as well as the coping surrounding lot will be granite stucco. Trees on the property will be preserved in the development, lawns and shrubbery adding to the attractiveness of the place.

Edward E. Liphard, formerly manager of the Southern Auto Company, will be in charge. He is well known in the accessory fields.

St. Matt's

That dome in the background is St. Matthew's Catholic Church, now the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle, the cathedral for the Archdiocese of Washington.

Old/New

It's so interesting to see how new construction looked in the 20's. I live in an area that's growing like crazy and there's new buildings all around. I never thought about how exciting it must've been to live in a major city as it was being constructed. We're 25 miles form the core of our city (Dallas).

It's amazing how much quality that went into a simple gas station.

 
THE 100-YEAR-OLD PHOTO BLOG
Shorpy.com | History in HD is a vintage photo blog featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago.

Syndicate content RSS | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Photo Use | © 2014 Shorpy Inc.