SHORPY Historic Photo Archive & Fine-Art Prints
The Shorpy Archive
9000+ fine-art prints suitable for framing. Desk-size to sofa-size and larger, on archival paper or canvas.
Join and Share

Support Shorpy

Shorpy is funded by you. Help by purchasing a print or contributing. Learn more.

Social Shorpy


Join our mailing list (enter email):

Member Photos

Photos submitted by Shorpy members.

Colorized Photos

Colorized photos submitted by members.

About the Photos

Our holdings include hundreds of glass and film negatives/transparencies that we've scanned ourselves; in addition, many other photos on this site were extracted from reference images (high-resolution tiffs) in the Library of Congress research archive. (To query the database click here.) They are adjusted, restored and reworked by your webmaster in accordance with his aesthetic sensibilities before being downsized and turned into the jpegs you see here. All of these images (including "derivative works") are protected by copyright laws of the United States and other jurisdictions and may not be sold, reproduced or otherwise used for commercial purposes without permission.

© 2019 SHORPY INC.

[REV 25-NOV-2014]

JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600

Drop-In Guest: 1958

Drop-In Guest: 1958

Oakland circa 1958, and yet another motoring mishap. The clipboard reads CECIL PRICE, OPD. 4x5 acetate negative from the News Archive. View full size.

To stay online without a paywall or a lot of pop-up ads, Shorpy needs your help. (Our server rental alone is $3,000 a year.) You can contribute by becoming a Patron, or by purchasing a print from the Shorpy Archive. Or both! Read more about our 2019 pledge drive here. Our last word on the subject is: Thanks!

Classic Side Arm

Would love to have that Smith & Wesson on the officer's right hip.
Looks like it has been in the leather quite a long time.
~ ZM

Mouse Trap

The silver cover next to the dent in the fuel tank would seem to indicate a mouse trap (or rat trap) clutch mechanism is installed.

That'll leave

a mark !

Optional Equipment in '57

Strange that the Harley doesn't seem to be equipped with a "suicide clutch".

Crash landing

After crossing the lawn, how did he get through the door, up the stairs, and off the balcony?

A useful statistic

90 percent of all the Harleys ever built are still on the road. The other 10 percent made it home. Presumably, this is one of the 10 percent.

I thought you said --

He hit a Porsche.

Is Wallace Home?

Hijinks lead to hilarity when Eddie Haskell shows off for Mrs. Cleaver in this lost episode of Leave it to Beaver.

Mom used to tell us

"Don't leave your bike lying in the front yard when you're done riding it."

Was alcohol involved?

As a motorcycle enthusiast of many years I have had a few harrowing moments. This would go in the "one heck of a ride" column. I wonder if the rider had anything to do with the marks on the window frame by the S watermark.

I also noticed the lack of equipment hanging from the policeman's belt as compared to today's gear-laden officers.

Just doing my duty, sir

"Never mind the excuses, I'm writing you a parking ticket."

Aww, and in the high-rent district, too!

This is why Hogs never caught on for motocross.

The Honest Truth

"I swear, officer -- that house came right outta NOWHERE. No signals or nothin'!"

SHORPY OLD PHOTO ARCHIVE | History in HD is a vintage photo archive featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1960s. (Available as fine-art prints from the Shorpy Archive.) The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago.

Syndicate content RSS | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Photo Use | © 2019 Shorpy Inc.