MAY CONTAIN NUTS
SHORPY
HOME
 
JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600
VINTAGRAPH • WPA • WWII • BRITISH COLUMBIA VACATION-LAND: 1950s

Colter & McGinnis' General Store: 1900

Colter & McGinnis' General Store: 1900

Colter & McGinnis' General Store on the 130 block of South Sampson Street, Tremont, Illinois. Circa 1900.

Pictured (left to right) are Frank E. McGinnis, Anna Patte Rollins and Edward Colter, (Unknown), 1900.

The store was later occupied by Gerald Beechman's Grocery, which burned down in a fire in March 1940. The Congregational Church building is located in the rear and was organized in 1844, with a church building was erected in 1848.

"In 1859 Messrs. Wm. Pettis and Nathanial Ingalls built a store building, also a bank building on lot 12 in block 25. The store building is the one where Ed L. Colter and Frank E. McGinnis were for a number of years." — from the "Historical Account of the Origin, Growth and Development of The Village of Tremont, Illinois", 1925

"Hugh McLean, the Village Clerk, will have his office at Colter & McGinnis’ store and anyone having business with him can have the same attended to whether he is there or not, as he has made arrangements with Mr. Colter to look after the affairs of the office if he is not in town." — Oct. 25, 1907

On Shorpy:
Today’s Top 5

Syndicate content  Shorpy.com is a vintage photography site featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago. Contact us | Privacy policy | Site © 2019 Shorpy Inc.