JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600

Tuscaloosa Wrecking: 1936

Tuscaloosa Wrecking: 1936

Alabama, 1936. "Antebellum residence converted into Tuscaloosa Wrecking Co. & Auto Parts." 8x10 nitrate negative by Walker Evans for the Farm Security Administration. View full size.


On Shorpy:
Today’s Top 5


Below is the same view from February of 2021.

Per Groucho Marx,

We went ivory hunting in Alabama, because the Tuscaloosa there

The good with the sad

It is good the Dr. John R. Drish mansion has been saved. It is sad much of the charm has been lost.

Dr. John R. Drish house

This house had seen, and now has seen, better days.

It was built in 1837 on a 350-acre plantation, with the columns and Italianate tower added just before the Civil War. Dr. Drish died there in 1867, his wife Sarah in 1884. It was the Jemison School from 1906 to 1925. After its time as an auto parts warehouse and Walker Evans's visit, it was purchased by Southside Baptist Church, which built a brick sanctuary on one side. Threatened with demolition, it was leased to the Heritage Commission of Tuscaloosa County in 1994, and after designation as a "place in peril," acquired by the Tuscaloosa Preservation Society in 2007. It was finally renovated starting in 2012 and opened in 2016 as a venue for weddings and other special events.

Of course it is said to be haunted.

Still Standin'

It's been moved to a vacant lot, but apparently it's still there: The Drish House.

Syndicate content is a vintage photography site featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago. Contact us | Privacy policy | Site © 2023 Shorpy Inc.