MAY CONTAIN NUTS
SHORPY
HOME
 
JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600
VINTAGRAPH • WPA • WWII • POUR IT ON: WWII POSTER

Bottle Club: 1906

Bottle Club: 1906

Circa 1906. "Custom House and Post Office, Memphis, Tennessee." Please feel free to toss your empties out the window. 8x10 inch glass negative. View full size.

 

On Shorpy:
Today’s Top 5

The custom today is lawyers

Historic Memphis Buildings:

The original building was built in 1876 as The Customs House. It was one of the proudest structures in the city, with two large matching towers that stood out in the city's skyline from the river. This was a grand building. But in 1929 it was greatly enlarged when it became a post office. Both towers were removed and wings were added at the north and south ends. The entire building received a new outer wall of granite. Not that this building was bad, it simply wasn't as notable as the old building. In 2010, the building was totally renovated and became the University of Memphis, School of Law.

Syndicate content  Shorpy.com is a vintage photography site featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago. Contact us | Privacy policy | Site © 2019 Shorpy Inc.