MAY CONTAIN NUTS
SHORPY
HOME
 
 
NEW FROM THE VINTAGRAPH VAULTS • VINTAGE ALASKA, c. 1920s

DPC

Glass negatives from the Detroit Photographic / Detroit Publishing collection at the Library of Congress. These glass plates were the starting point for the millions of colored postcards sold by Detroit Publishing in the early years of the 20th century. The images were made using Detroit Publishing's patented Photochrom process.

In 1939, a year before his death, Detroit Publishing partner William Henry Jackson, whose western plates formed the basis of the company's holdings in its early days, gave the negatives and prints to the Edison Institute (now known as the Henry Ford Museum) in Dearborn, Michigan. In 1949, the Edison Institute gave all of the negatives and many duplicate photographs to the Colorado Historical Society. The Colorado Historical Society transferred most of the negatives and prints for sites east of the Mississippi to the Library of Congress later that year.

Syndicate content  Shorpy.com is a vintage photography site featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago. Contact us | Privacy policy | Site © 2019 Shorpy Inc.