MAY CONTAIN NUTS
SHORPY
HOME
 
JUMP TO PAGE   100  >  200  >  300  >  400  >  500  >  600
VINTAGRAPH • WPA • WWII • BRITISH COLUMBIA VACATION-LAND: 1950s

Cherry Street Bridge: 1909

Cherry Street Bridge: 1909

Circa 1909. "Water front -- Toledo, O." The Cherry Street Bridge over the Maumee River. 8x10 inch dry plate glass negative, Detroit Publishing Co. View full size.

 

On Shorpy:
Today’s Top 5

The vessel on the left

is the Warrington, built 1868 at Detroit by J. H. Jones for the Prindiville interests of Chicago and named for a Chicago investor allied with Prindiville. It served the lumber trade until sold to the United States Lighthouse Service in 1870 and renamed simply Warrington. Its duty then was to carry building materials and other supplies to lighthouse installations on the lakes. It is undoubtedly shown loading such goods at Peoples Building Supplies. Sold to Chicago's Hines Lumber Company in early 1911 it would not last long. It sprung a leak in heavy weather August 21, 1911, and stranded a total loss near Charlevoix, Michigan, with no loss of life. The vessel ahead of it is the O. E. Parks, built 1891 at Saugatuck, Michigan, by James Elliott for Captain R. C. Brittain and others and named for Captain Oscar Parks who would be its first master as well as one of its owners. It also ran in the Lake Michigan lumber trade. Its steeple compound steam engine and boiler removed in 1928, its life as a powered vessel was resurrected the next year when Samuel Shields of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, dropped a 4-cylinder Kahlenberg Diesel into it and the vessel resumed the freight trade, but not for long. While off Thunder Bay Island, Lake Huron, on May 3, 1929, on its first trip as a motor ship the Parks encountered a storm that, reportedly, shifted the new engine's bed, opening the vessel's seams. It sank rapidly, its crew rescued by the local Coast Guard. The new Kahlenberg engine was salvaged and placed into the tug Betty D. in 1930.

Holy Toledo

Wow, so much to see here: the stacked-up lumber across the river at the Western Mfg Co.; the moodiness of the outlines of trees and buildings disappearing into the smoke/haze; the grand church; the numerous trades and products exhibited on the signs (saddler, hardware, foundry, seeds, blacksmithing, doors, stone, tiles, piano, lumber, marine gas engines); the lengths of pipe in different sizes piled up at both ends of the bridge; the gentle traffic on the bridge itself; the group of men with the horse cart attending to something going on with that shallow boat by the shore at the bottom of the photograph; and so much more to be revealed upon further scrutiny.

Syndicate content  Shorpy.com is a vintage photography site featuring thousands of high-definition images from the 1850s to 1950s. The site is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, a teenage coal miner who lived 100 years ago. Contact us | Privacy policy | Site © 2019 Shorpy Inc.